The US Africa Command says it carried out additional airstrikes against terrorists in northeastern Nigeria on Sunday in coordination with the Nigerian government.
No US or Nigerian forces were harmed during the strikes, AFRICOM said on Monday.
On Saturday, the US and Nigerian forces conducted an operation that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a senior leader of the Daesh terrorist group, in the northeast of the African country, US President Donald Trump and his counterpart in Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, said.
Tinubu said Nigerian forces worked closely with the US military in what he called a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the terrorists.
Trump, who has previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from terrorists, thanked the Nigerian government for its partnership in the operation.
Nigeria is battling terrorist groups, including regional offshoots of the Daesh organisation and Boko Haram. It has also carried out strikes and operations against non-ideological violent gangs of criminals, known as “bandits”, who carry out kidnappings for ransom.
The US has recently deployed hundreds of troops to Nigeria to support and train its forces following tensions between the two countries.
SOURCE:Reuters

